Tofu! Does the name conjure up boring, bland and soft textureless food. I’ve steered clear of for long. Now that I’m home bound every evening mostly because of snow all around me. I’ve been experimenting a lot. I want to share my new secret. These crispy ginger tofu with a southern touch are a dream come true, I’m sure you’ll agree. Ready in minutes, but oh! the flavour, lightly glossy and crisp and tender inside they make a great snack or side.
1 packet firm tofu, 450 gm cut into 32 squares
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 thai green chilies, thinly sliced
1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro2 tbsp sesame oil
|Serves 4Pots n pans
• Wash, rinse and cut tofu into 32 squares. Pat dry on kitchen towel.
• Heat griddle. Add 1 tbsp sesame oil and half the spice quantity-mustard seeds, ginger and green chillies. When mustard splutters, spread spiced oil to cover griddle surface.
• Gently place 16 tofu squares on the griddle.
• Cover with lid, on low heat, let crisp on one side. Check after 2 minutes, tofu underside should have browned. Flip the tofu squares over and cover. Let crisp on other side too, another 2 minutes. Remove from griddle, arrange on plate and sprinkle sea salt to taste.
• Repeat the same process above for remaining 16 tofu squares usign remaining oil and spices. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
• I let crispy ginger tofu cool before packing lunch for tomorrow. Hard to believe that bland colourless food could take on such crispy heights, isn’t it, but its true what you’re seeing with your eyes is what I made tonight captured with a low key iphone camera..
I used sesame oil and I really can’t think of any other oil that can do so much justice to these crispy tofu, made with just 2 tbsp of oil. But if you really don’t care for the slightly intense nature of sesame oil, feel free to substitute with grapeseed or other oil of your choice.
–soul of spice–
15 Comments Add yours
This looks yummy! I love tofu…such a versatile friend.
thanks! you and me both, just finding out how delish tofu can be..
Love crispy tofu! I’m always excited when I find other folks out in the world who appreciate the awesomeness of tofu.
thanks! just starting to discover the world of tofu. This recipe opened my eyes to a world you already know! I’d love to hear your ways of making it..
I’ve posted some recipes on my blog that use tofu as the primary source protein. Let me see what I can wrestle up and send your way. 🙂
Reblogged this on Glenn62’s Blog.
I used tofu back in the day when I wasn’t able to find paneer.
Wow.. How things have changed..just saw paneer in the dairy section of Walmart 😉
Oh yum! This looks scrumptious. i am very keen to try it. :).
oh it is Ally, & takes just under 10 minutes to make.. Please let me know how it comes out.. charu
This looks wonderful! I’m going to have to try it! 🙂
I hope you do 😉 super easy to make
Thanks! I’m planning on it. 😮
I have not had tofu in a long time. It has to be amazing with ginger! Yummy 🙂
Thanks so much. I have to confess I’ve stayed away from tofu for a long time, and had forgotten how delicious it is with ginger, a favourite spice of mine 🙂