Vegetarians –check, Vegans – check, Rawtarians – check, meat eaters – check. Everyone will be happy with this colourful festive baby kale Christmas salad.
I wanted to make this layered salad for a Christmas potluck & really, really wanted to capture the festivities of the holiday season. My neighbourhood is so bright and sparkly with lights everywhere. So I got into the mood and made this super easy to make salad.
2 cups beets, cooked, peeled and cubed
2 cups fresh strawberries
2 cups organic baby kale
1 cup grated carrot
2 cups avocado
|Spice oil dressing
2 tbsp fresh lemon/lime juice
1 tsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 dry red chilies
1 tsp urad dal
2 curry leaves
• Wash beets thoroughly. Boil till tender. Peel and cube.
• Wash strawberries, Cube same size as beets. Wash and cut kale. Wash avocado. Seed and cut. Squeeze In 1 tbsp. lemon juice so that avocadoes keep their bright green colour. Set aside.
• Heat 1 tbsp oil and saute kale till wilted. Rawterains can leave out this step.
• Layer beets in outer layer first in bowl
• Next layer kale just inside beets
• Then layer strawberries
• Next layer avocado
• Top with grated carrot.
• Squeeze in remaining lemon juice.
• Heat 1 tbsp oil. Toast sesame seeds, urad dal, curry leaf and red chillies. Pour spice oil over salad. Stir everything together just before serving. Serve chilled.
suggested toppings/ substitutes
try replacing strawberries with apples.
add pumpkin seeds, raisins, cranberries to spice oil to up the festive look.
what’s your go to Christmas salad recipe? Try this one, guaranteed crowd pleaser. Everyone will also love its visual appeal 🙂