O dear, My boss isn’t well. I haven’t been well. A friend mentioned he’s been under the weather for a while. Cold season blues can really affect our bodies!
When I feel this way-runny eyes, sore throat, I long for my grandmother’s soup. Lightweight, packed with spices, this cold medicine soup is bound to pick you up too.
I paired it with some steamed and sautéed beets, tamil Brahmin style. You have to give it to our ancestors, they knew how to enjoy the good life. And food is such a big part..of life..Don’t you agree, people who enjoy and relish food, really live life!!
Finally a thought on protein since neither the soup, nor the rice, nor the beets are going to satisfy the protein brigade. If you have a guest that needs protein, then just cook some papad in the oven. I enjoy the crunchy texture of papad whenever I make soup.. it’s a must side.
2 cups water
1 tsp tamarind paste
½ tsp Malabar black pepper pods(any black pepper will do)
1 tbsp crushed fresh ginger
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp curry leaves
½ tsp coconut oil
Salt to taste
• Pound black pepper and cumin together. I like a texture, so pounding happens in my marble mortar & pestle
• Mix tamarind paste with water
• Heat coconut oil in pan. Add the crushed black pepper, cumin, hing and curry leaves to hot oil
• Immediately pour the tamarind water into the pan.
• Add salt to taste and let come to boil
• Remove from heat. Serve with rice
My sinuses got completely cleared. The healing and warming spices in the soup cleansed me. I’m now ready to fall asleep.
One Comment Add yours